Is It Over Yet?

33 years ago, I worked with Zane Conway, a really bright guy. He was my laborer partner who eventually made it to every country in the world. I only knew Zane for a summer, but he taught me a lot, and I recall a lot of conversations in detail.

“I want to be a writer,” I told him as we stripped concrete forms.

“So shut-up and write,” he answered.

And a little while later....

“What time is it?” I asked.

“Ten-thirty.”

“Damn, I wish it was noon. I’m starving.”

“Don’t ever wish time away,” he answered. “Some day you’ll be begging for that hour and a half.”

Well, old Zane never spent a February in Buffalo!

Is it almost over yet?

70 mph winds today...back to single digits next week...I passed a golf course and saw the greens under a tarp...had to pull over to weep.

I’ve tried to enjoy it a little.

I’m doing a lot of speaking for my job. My voice is cracking like a pre-pubescent teen.

“Anyone have any questions?” I asked.

“Are you going through puberty?” A very funny construction guy said.

My safety classes tend to veer off into humor sometimes and the audience gets involved.

“You guys drag me into the gutter,” I wrote to one construction laborer.

“Dude, we have to pull you UP to get you in the gutter,” he said.

And I thought of Zane.

“Just because you might be bored or tired or over-worked, there’s joy hiding in every situation. You just gotta’ find it.”

Finding joy in February in Buffalo.

It comes to a close this week.

Don’t waste a minute!.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie