A Solid Guy

A friend of mine is in a health battle.

We’ve worked together for more than 20 years and have climbed ladders, scaffolds and the iron. A lot of winters ago, he stepped off the ladder onto the icy deck and said:

“Watch out, it’s real slick.”

Then he promptly fell on his ass.

I snapped a half dozen photos of him on his back.

He’s been going through some nasty treatments and he’s a guy who never missed a day of work. He’s been spending his time watching Gunsmoke and Bonanza.

We got together with another buddy and went to lunch just as we’ve done about a hundred times in the last 20+ years.

“We were in our 30’s when we met,” he said...

...”now look at us.”

Life is weird. You just don’t know that you’re living the good old days when you’re living them.

“I may not come back to work,” he said. “I can’t do the ladders anymore. Hell, it’s ten steps to my office. I’d drop there and you’d be snapping photos.”

We laughed.

Had a big burger, talked about work, my book, and the medical treatments. He spoke about how draining the treatments are.

“You still milking that?” I asked.

We got back in the car.

“I needed to get out. So weird how much we take for granted until it’s gone.”

“You’ll feel better soon,” I said.

“I hope so,” he said. “But it won’t ever be the same.”

Those words bit into me.

“Stay positive,” I lectured. “What are you doing for the rest of the day?”

“Lunch kicked my ass,” he said. “I need a nap. What about you?”

“Out in the cold. Climb a couple of ladders. Save some lives. You just relax.”

He laughed again.

“Enjoy every second of it,” he said.

“I’ll be back again next week,” I said. “We’ll do lunch again.”

I headed up the hill at Syracuse University to visit the job. The uphill climb was rough. Bitter cold and the wind blowing hard.

I was walking alone to do a job that we normally did together.

“Enjoy ever second of it,” he had said.

My forehead ached from the cold.

I kept moving.

My mood was in the toilet.

Said a little prayer for health.

How unfair life can be...

...work every day for years.

Have to battle for that precious time.

Everyone deserves to retire and rest.

A solid guy.

Just hoping for time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie