Black Face

Whole lot of embarrassing stuff going on.

Hard to believe that the Virginia governor hasn’t quit yet. The story broke that he was either a guy under a white hood, or he was the one in black face.

He apologized but wouldn’t quit.

The next day he said he didn’t do it...

...but that once he put on a little shoe polish to win a Michael Jackson contest cause he learned how to moonwalk.

And then he actually thought about moonwalking when they asked him to.

I honestly don’t know how some of these dopey bastards get elected!

Now, I grew up in a time when there was a whole different set of rules in the comedy world, but in 1984 a guy studying to be a doctor should’ve had more sense to know that you don’t put on black face.

Yet, I went to college in the early 80’s and we hung out with some buddies who happened to be black. We weren’t racist in any sense of the word, but when we busted balls, well, nothing was off-limits. I caught up with one of those guys a year or so ago.

“You know, I never felt like I was being oppressed but I always knew I was black in every conversation. No one ever thinks they’re a racist, but there’s always an underlying theme. The jokes weren’t malicious, but why is it always in play?”

That was an interesting way to think about it, and it kind of changed things for me.

Offending someone is offending someone whether you mean to or not.

Should he resign?

It was 35 years ago.

He’s appeared to live a life free of racist work.

Is the mistake of a 25-year-old man disqualifying?

In this case, I certainly believe it should. It was that tone deaf and stupid, and I was really dumb back in the day....

...but I never would’ve done that.

Black face?

A white hood?

Yeah, that’s epically dumb.

Trying to justify it maybe wasn’t the way to go.

He should’ve maybe apologized????

Without offering to moonwalk.

Dopey.

It all comes down to one thing:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

For everyone.

Life isn’t that hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie