There You Have It

You could feel the excitement building in Buffalo.

The Bills were actually looking good!

Playoffs?

Hell no!!

Super Bowl!!!

And the one son who's left roaming around here was counting up the wins left on the schedule. (At least 11) and the son off at college was texting me.

I was encouraging them, but I was also cautionary.

"Gotta' keep working. Don't read about how good you are. You do that and you can get embarrassed quickly."

"Not these guys," Jake responded. "They're well-coached."

Welp, they read their press clippings it appears.

And in Thursday's Buffalo News the writers recapped the Bills long history of going belly-up in prime time.

We actually read through the games and Sam was getting highly agitated hearing about ones that got away.

"They have a history," I said.

"Different team," he answered. "I'm a little nervous, but they'll win."

They were manhandled.

I only watched the first quarter, but it appeared it might be a long night. Years ago, I went to a Bills game with my buddy Kimball (RIP).

"Watch the line play," Kim said. "The line that's pushing the other line back. That's the team that'll win."

The Bills lines were getting hammered.

"It'll be fine," Sam said as I left the room.

"I hope they do it, buddy," I said.

But they didn't.

The team will be torched in the press and doubted mightily.

I hope they read those clippings too...

...and come out hungry again...

...for the sake of my boys, who are drifting towards adulthood, and have never seen the hometown team play in the playoffs.

"SMH," Jake texted me.

SMH.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie