The Reckoning

If I’m still home at 7 a.m., I normally watch Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie to get some news (fake or not fake).

I was stunned by yesterday’s news.

Lauer got fired.

Caught up in the sexual harassment triangle.

I immediately wondered if it was a quick trigger. Did he get fired for simple remarks? Was he a serial problem child?

They didn’t say much early on, and I got into a chat with my text buddy.

“I worry about not being able to joke around anymore,” I said.

“Men have been acting like idiots for centuries. The tide has turned.”

“There’s a line that can never be crossed,” I answered. “If you don’t know the line, you’re probably a scumbag.”

I thought of a dinner with a coworker years ago. A fun filled laughfest where we all spent time making fun of one another.

She eventually gave me her phone number so I could text business opportunities. I immediately sent a text:

“What are you wearing?”

She was sitting across from me at the restaurant. We all laughed. She called me an idiot.

Yet, but what if, for some reason, there was a falling out?

Could that sort of text, completely out of context, bring trouble?

I suppose that it could!

Yet, it’s not too hard to break it down:

Be respectful!

Don’t show someone your junk if she hasn’t asked to see it!

Don’t use threats, or power, or any other garbage to intimidate, scare, or humiliate someone.

Be human, for crying out loud!

Later on, news of the accusations came out.

It doesn’t appear that there was a great misunderstanding, and in the court of public opinion, Lauer was strung up.

Why?

So respected.

Rich, on television every day.

Married with children...

...all up in smoke.

For what?

Just for the love of being a dope.

The list is getting longer and longer, isn’t it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie