Proud People

I’ve worked with a number of Native Americans as there are a number of men of that particular heritage in the ironworker field.

One of my favorite people of all-time was my buddy Kimball. He taught me so much about life because he caught me between the ages of 25-35 and he tried to get me to aim my arrows instead of just firing them all over the place.

Kimball died way too young, but I think of him a lot, and I know that hundreds of his buddies do too. I saw one such buddy the other day. Another Native American ironworker.

“Cliffy!” He called out.

I was walking with a few management guys and one laughed and said:

“That Indian Dude is calling your name.”

I headed over and we exchanged two hand slaps and a hug.

“How you doing?” He asked.

“I’m good,” I said. “Are you tying off when you get off the ground?”

“You know I’m not,” he said, with a laugh.

“Yeah, yeah, only the weak fall,” I teased.

“Thinning the herd!”

I hoped he was joking, but I wasn’t sure.

Hardworking dude.

We swapped a bunch of office gossip, and after a few more hand slaps and some promises to stay in touch, I walked away, and back to the supervision guys in the white hats.

“You spend time on the reservation?” One of the guys said.

“He’s a great guy,” I said. “I used to stop for beers with him back in the day.”

“Fire water,” the other guy said, and they both laughed.

I walked away.

And I thought of Kimball again yesterday when The Bloviating Orange Mess made a Pocahontas joke in front of a gathering of Native Americans who were supposed to be honored yesterday.

Kimball would’ve been pissed!

So, I was pissed.

And then I stopped reading about it.

I walked away from the guys on the site who were being prejudiced idiots...

...sucks when you have to turn off the news for the same reason.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie