Game 7

So, the Yankees battled but couldn't get the big hit off Verlander.

Them's the breaks.

And now we're all set up for a winner take all game to go to the World Series.

Fun, right?

Maybe!

I immediately started thinking of Game 7 scenarios.

The big one was 2003.

Yankees-Red Sux.

Clemens versus Pedro and everyone in the world was on the Pedro bandwagon. I had a long drive to Syracuse that day and although it was a busy work day I couldn't concentrate at all. As I drove I listened to all the pre-game hype and no one was giving the Yankees a shot. Pedro was that good.

And in the game, Clemens immediately puked all over his shoes. Yanks were down early and Pedro was dealing. Giambi hit two solo homers, but at 5-2 it didn't look good.

I'll spare you all the details, but Pedro stayed in too long and Posada doubled to tie it.

What seemed like 2 days later, Aaron Boone hit a walk-off homer to win it and at 1:45 in the morning, my cell phone rang so many times that I couldn't keep up!

The thrill of winning such a game.

Yet, I also considered 2001 and Game 7 of the World Series against Arizona.

Jake was being operated on the next day. We used the Yankees as our rallying cry...

...and Mariano lost on a bloop and a bleeder.

I still can't think about that dumb game.

The agony of defeat.

And now we have tomorrow night.

Yankees-Astros for chance to play the Dodgers.

If you'd asked me before the season if I'd take a one game deal to go to the final series...

...oh yeah!

I'm prepared for either circumstance.

I'll be disappointed, of course, if they don't do it.

But, I'll get to bed a whole lot earlier next week if they lose.

At 53 years old that has to be factored in.

I think CC and the pen get it done.

Don't call me today.

I'm going to be cranky all the way up to game time...

...and if things don't work out, I might just try to find Joe Buck...

...and kick him in his Altuve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie