Fraud

I've read some reviews on Bruce on Broadway. He starts the show much as he started his awesome autobiography by telling us he's a fraud...

...or a magician who fools his fans with sleight of hand...

...to a certain extent.

I know of what he speaks.

Back about 16 years ago I arrived at a conclusion when it came to writing books:

"I can do this anytime I want."

That was following "In Real Life."

A book that made me cry when I was writing it!

I had figured out the learning curve. I was doing it rather effortlessly. Fiction was a piece of cake.

Then life intervened and I wrote 3 non-fiction books...

...all really difficult to write.

All made me kind of hate the process, but all three books were my best efforts. But the fun was gone.

Yet, in the back of my mind I still had a secret.

I could write a 70,000 fiction story whenever I wanted to...

...and I would do it well.

(Sometimes readers don't like the effort...nothing I can do about that).

But here's where the feeling of being an imposter slips in.

"Oh My God? How do you do that?"

Sometimes I mention discipline or passion. I tell people about the "starts with a single idea that you build on" garbage.

When I get a big compliment, I am extremely appreciative, of course, but I also have this feeling that I'll one day be exposed as a complete fake.

'Cause it's easy to me.

Not to say that it always was!

Oh no!!

It took a lot to learn it and I feel badly for those who are just beginning the journey because there are so many reasons to quit doing it.

I'm out of reasons.

I write, write, write, write...

...all to figure out my thoughts with a little nagging voice that says:

"Make it interesting so other people like it too."

And at 52...4 Days Away from 53...

I don't know why I'd ever stop writing books.

Why the hell not?

I know how to do it.

And like any other artist, I guess...

...it's kind of a magic trick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie