Craig Lehner

We hear a lot of negative, don't we?

Stories about heartache, and political garbage every single day.

Mix in stories about mass shootings, daily murders, drug overdoses..

...and it's easy to get down.

Here in Buffalo there was a real tragedy.

A young officer was killed during a training exercise. He drowned. It took an eternity to find his body.

You could feel the heartbeat of the city beating as the sadness lingered.

It was a story that I couldn't directly follow. I kept it on the periphery because as they searched for his body...

...I didn't want to let it all in.

The funeral procession started in the Southtowns and stretched to the hockey arena where thousands gathered to say 'Goodbye.'

I watched that part.

And I thought about a little of the angst.

People fighting on social media?

Didn't even think about it.

GOP versus Dems?

No one in that procession cared.

Pro-cop or Anti-cop??

Everyone was pro-cop for a few hours.

I'm very often proud of Buffalo...

...and it has nothing to do with the Bills or Sabres.

It's all about being human.

And that's when I know that we're going to be all right in the long run.

Deep down...

...people are good.

I was watching the news with my boy one day. The story was about a horrific murder. I didn't make it to the clicker fast enough.

"There are a lot of bad people in the world," Sam mentioned.

"That's true," I said, "But there are millions of people who didn't commit a crime yesterday. Millions and millions, actually. Remember, there are way more good people than bad."

Thousands filled the streets in Western New York who gathered to say goodbye to an officer that most of them never met.

Forget the negative stories.

In one ear and out the other.

Hold onto this one.

RIP Craig Lehner.

A good man.

Gone too soon.

You reminded me that people are good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie