The Masters Winner is 21 Years Old

Jordan Spieth was born on July 27, 1993.

He won the Masters on Sunday.

You know, I did okay as I grew to adulthood. I graduated college by the time I was 21 years old.

I published my first book just a couple of years after that, but man, how the hell does that kid win the Masters at 21?

There was a lot of publicity given to the fact that he had mentioned, back the the age of 14, that it was a goal of his to actually do what he did on Sunday.

But he only set his big goal seven years ago!

What do you say to your 14-year-old who tells you that he wants to win the Masters?

This is what I'd probably say:

"All right. Clean your room."

Of course, the kid was probably absolutely driven with such a goal. I love reading about sports stars who know that their fate is set out for them at a young age.

I've heard it said that Wayne Gretzky could skate before he could actually walk. The Dad in the equation usually whips the kid into shape...

...practice, practice, practice.

And Spieth seems like a rather well-adjusted guy.

What he did is actually fairly amazing, right?

If you wrote it as a movie they'd send it back to you saying that it's a little too hokey.

Good for him.

When I was 18 years old I once golfed a 79.

I was in San Francisco on a course that I played every single day after working construction. I golfed a 40 on the front 9 and a 39 on the back.

I was never stronger than I was back then. I was actually way underweight!

I kinda knew, at that time, that I'd never do anything like that again...and just to prove it...I golfed a 95...the very next day!

Yet I wonder how much fun golf is for Spieth.

I bet he had a really great time over the weekend.

21 years old.

My God.

I said this to my son, Jake:

"He's only 3 years older than you."

Jake wasn't giving an inch.

"I'd probably crush him in Maddon."

Beautiful.

That's my boy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie