A Woman Referee???

Sarah Thomas is set to become a full-time NFL referee.

Yeah...a woman in a man's game.

Sports Illustrated posted the story on their Facebook page and the very first comment was by a man who asked if Sarah would be making sandwiches for the regular refs, or if she would be tasked with ironing their clothes.

Couple of things there:

Where does the comment-maker get off in assuming that because she's a woman that she'd be making sandwiches?

I've been with my beautiful wife for over 20 years now...she's never made me a sandwich.

Secondly, my wife doesn't iron my clothes either...there's actually no reason to iron Yankee shirts.

Yet, I spent quite awhile reading through that comment section mostly because Sports Illustrated responded to the first ignorant comment.

Sports Illustrated went on the defensive, taking up the call to defend women.

Uh, yeah...the same magazine that touts the swimsuit issue with predominantly naked women being responsible for the huge sales.

Personally I think it's all rather silly.

If Sarah Thomas can do the job...let her do it.

It's not like the men refs are great at it anyway...in fact...they suck.

Sarah might just bring their grades up a little.

Still in the comment section there were a lot of concerned bigots who claimed that she would one day have to take a hit out there because she won't be athletic enough to get out of the way of one of the steroid-addled runners.

One guy went far enough to say:

"I want my women to be feminine! They don't belong on the same field as men. They aren't strong enough!!"

I really wish the comment sections had photos of the guys who are typing such drivel.

I'm picturing about a 300-pound guy...who is woman-less, plays Madden all day with Dorito chips staining the front of his wife-beater.

"I want my women feminine!"

Look...if Sarah Thomas is qualified for the job...she should have it...and she should also be paid on par with the men who are doing the same job.

That simple.

Women aren't inferior, folks.

In fact, I tend to believe that they are the far superior sex...despite the differences.

Really...men are worried about the sanctity of the NFL refs?

Please.

Go get 'em Sarah Thomas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie