Meat

What the hell is going on?

Swung by the grocery store on Saturday morning and my heart was set on improving our meat inventory at home so that we can make decent dinners on the fly.

Every single piece of meat that I picked up made me say something like this:

"Holy shit!"

The hamburger was expensive.

The chicken breasts were outrageous.

I saw a woman digging around in an area where they keep the hams.

"Anything you don't have to re-mortgage the house to get?" I asked.

"These are less than a dollar a pound," she said.

"What???"

We both dug through the bin, looking for a good one.

I grabbed a size-able one...less than $8 bucks!...B-I-N-G-O!!

"Oh," the woman said. "Best if used by February 18."

What was the date?

"That's three days ago," she said. "But it might be all right."

Might???

And still, with the price of everything else, I thought about it!

I could make it for dinner.

What's three days when it comes to spoiled meat?

The woman threw the one she picked out back into the bin.

Mine soon followed.

"Turkey it is!" I said.

"They have a loan center at the front of the store," she said.

We both laughed.

And people are supposed to get by on less than $10 an hour?

Anyone ever wonder why there's so much despair?

I grabbed a turkey breast, thinking of my Dad again:

"We're gonna' eat first," he'd say. "Worry about the rest later."

Thankfully I don't have to do that, on a daily basis, but a whole lot of people do.

A whole lot of people do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie