Jon Stewart Is Leaving????

Back when Counting On A Miracle came out I was invited to BookExpo America in Chicago. I will remember those two days for a number of reasons:

1). The publisher had a wall-length shot of the cover of the book - my son Jake is the cover art - and when I saw that shot, I sat down in a chair and just stared at it. I'd written something that was a wall-length poster in a hall in Chicago!

2). I sold every copy of the book on the first day of the event. I was then able to head out early on Sunday and make my way to Wrigley Field where I watched the Cubs beat the Pirates 2-1.

and

3). I met Jon Stewart.

Let me set the scene.

I had just finished selling all the books on Saturday. I was exhausted from telling the story and I was extremely sick of the suit and especially the shoes I was wearing. I ducked down a hallway in the massive place and I sat with my back against the wall. I took the damn shoes off and closed my eyes for a minute.

I'm not sure if I sensed the movement or what, but I opened my eyes to see a man walking straight at me. He was about 50 yards away but my brain registered it quickly.

That's Jon Stewart!

I was scrambling to stand up and put my shoes on as Stewart was bearing down on me.

He was just a few feet away when he extended his hand, undoubtedly knowing that I was in a panic because I'd recognized him. I shook his hand quickly, still trying to step into my shoes.

He took it all in quickly, but then at the top of his voice he yelled:

"Where in the %&*k is the bathroom?"

I laughed.

I think I tried to tell him how much my Dad loved his show.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," he said. "I really gotta' piss."

I laughed again and pointed him in the direction of the Men's room.

"How the %^&K big is this place?" He yelled out.

We stopped shaking hands somewhere along the way and he headed away from me.

"It was good to meet you!" He called over his shoulder.

He was shorter than I would've thought. He had the same funny tone. He had made me laugh.

I remember calling my Dad and telling him about it.

Dad watched Jon Stewart each night.

A lot of people did.

I'd catch his clips now and again and I always thought the show was cleverly done. A way to watch the news without feeling too bitter about it.

Of course, there are people who hate Jon Stewart for how his politics line up.

Perhaps he did have a bigger agenda.

I think he really does like going for the laugh.

Either way, he revolutionized the news.

And he's a funny dude.

You can't take that from him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie