American Sniper

It all started way back in the 2nd grade for me.

Sister: The Fifth Commandment is 'Thou Shalt Not Kill'.

2nd Grade Me: (hand raised high) What about during war? Is that a sin?

Sister: That's different.

2nd Grade Me: God says it's okay?

Sister: (staring) We'll talk about it later.

I haven't seen the movie American Sniper.

Not sure I will.

I know that folks are jumping in line to see it, but I really do not enjoy war movies.

I've never seen Saving Private Ryan, or Apocalypse Now, or on and on and on and on.

And it's not just an anti-war rant of a peace-loving, bleeding heart. I'm not all that calculated about it.

I just can't fathom the exercise.

Kill or be killed.

I ask too many questions to just buy into such a scenario.

I always have.

I don't think of an entire country of people as _____________ (insert ethnic slur here).

I'm not of the mind that we need to blow them off the map!

Or make a parking lot!

And even if I were somehow able to justify it in my questioning mind, I can't see being entertained by a shot taking off a head of someone.

And I'm sure the movie is well done.

Bradley Cooper...Clint Eastwood.

I know that the Sniper was a real live person, who was confused by his job, but went through hell and back for his country.

I admire that kind of guy. I hate that he suffered such an internal struggle, and many men have been in that spot.

Confused.

I certainly respect the man who stands in that kill or killed position for the people who live in freedom and just aren't of mind to do such a thing.

I'm not being self-righteous here, either!

Just never could get my mind around the concept of war.

Coincidentally I was at a VFW lodge last week and the famous photo of American soldiers raising the flag in World War II was posted on the wall of the place.

I stared at that photo for a long-time.

The Greatest Generation.

The caption read.

It's hard to look at that photo and not feel proud of those men who defended the country.

Subsequent wars have been confusing.

Are they about money?

The combatants are confused.

The enemy is hiding.

The rules of engagement are blurry.

I'm sure that American Sniper would confuse me even further.

It all started way back in the 2nd grade for me.

Still waiting for that nun to get back at me.

The other side feels justified too.

We know it has to be done.

All of it feels wrong.

Just too confusing to be entertained.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie