Relaxing Is Tiresome

My beautiful wife's birthday idea was to get me away for a little while so I wouldn't feel compelled to do something that involved work, and I really believed that it was a good plan that would benefit both of us.

We headed to Peek & Peak a resort that offers golf and skiing - it's just about at the Pa. border, so far enough away. The weather wasn't good for either golf (which I love) or to ski (which I hate).

So we relaxed.

Hot tub, pool, massage at the spa, a couple of movies, and good food.

I actually slept past 8 o'clock on Saturday morning which I don't think I've done in 15 years.

By the time the movie ended in the mid-afternoon between the massage and dinner, I was fighting to keep my eyes open.

"Damn, this being lazy takes up a lot of time," I said.

Yet there were moments when I wanted to do something more.

It truly is hard to get a Fuzzy to settle down for a long spell, but I kept lecturing myself.

"Don't clean the hotel room."

"Don't worry about writing anything."

"Don't answer e-mails."

There were a lot of people who wished me a Happy Birthday and I typed a few thank-you's, but I really didn't have any extended conversations about how weird it was to be turning 50.

It is just a number, and truth be told, I feel okay.

I wish I had new legs, but what can you do? I'll probably just miss the technology where we can change out parts.

I also did a bit of reflecting, and as we are prone to do when the kids aren't around, we talked about them.

And so far, so good. We have pretty decent children. They appear to be growing into thoughtful people and that was the main focus of our job.

I thought back as well, remembering the 50 years and the people who have passed through my life.

I certainly didn't feel like drinking, but as the waiter asked us what we wanted with our dinners it didn't feel right to just order a water.

I got a Jameson's on the rocks.

It was Jeff's shot of choice and unfortunately I've learned to like it a little.

As I sipped the drink and waited on my pasta I watched the rain fall on the windows of the restaurant.

What a miserable day, I thought.

And that thought was quickly replaced by this one:

What a beautiful day.

I raised the glass high and just left it hanging there. Not really sure what to toast, but toasting everything, I suppose.

As the whiskey settled I considered one other thing:

Damn! Being restful is tiring.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Cliff! You deserved to have a wonderful time with your wife. Time goes by way to fast as I'm sure you know. We all ( the class of '82 ) are hitting or have already turned 50 this year. We've lost some loved ones along the way and it really makes us reflect on our own lives too. You look great, you're an awesome guy, always was in high school and you still are today. You done good, give yourself a pat on the back!! Again , happiest of birthdays for the big 50! God bless~Cindy
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Thank you, Cindy!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie