Oscar Taveras

Most of the world probably doesn't know who Oscar Taveras is.

Baseball fans do.

Tavares was the next big star coming down the pike. He was the St. Louis Cardinals best prospect since Albert Pujols. At 22 years old, he was going to dominate for about the next 15 years.

He died on Sunday in a car crash in the Dominican Republic. His girlfriend also died in the crash.

My son Sam was seated beside me as we read the news on Twitter just as Game 6 of the World Series was set to start.

"Oh man," Sam said. "That's awful."

And I instantly thought back to the days of my youth when the Yankee Captain Thurman Munson was killed in an airplane crash. Thurman had been on two championship teams and was one of my favorite players.

I remember crying when my Mom told me. I also remember that she drove from our house to my little league baseball practice to break the news.

How was it even possible?

Sam seemed to be wondering the same sort of thing as we read about the accident.

"I hope he wasn't drinking," I said.

"What difference does it make?" Sam responded. "He's still gone."

Which was true, of course.

Moments later my wife saw the report of the accident during the World Series game.

"How awful," she said...saying almost the same thing as Sam, but for distinctly different reasons.

"I'm so afraid of the kids in the car. I dread the fact that they are driving around without me as the driver."

It is sort of easy to forget that Tavares was just a kid.

Born in 1992.

A big strong kid with the world at his ready.

A little while ago I saw a photo of Thurman Munson's son.

A whole bunch of tragedy came swimming into my brain.

How awful.

The twitter feed was filled with the following:

We send our thoughts and prayers to the Tavares family.

I suppose that is the best we can do in such a horrible situation.

"Man, I feel so bad," Sam said.

What else can you say?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie