Life Is Hard-Part 2


Saw this photo on Twitter with the caption:

He brings a photo of his wife to put across from him as he eats.

And if you don't think that's pretty cool, you're kinda' heartless. You might wanna' get that checked.

As I'm prone to do I started to really think about that poor man. I considered that he'd probably shared an awful lot of time with his wife, and that he doesn't quite know how to go forward now.

That's the life is hard part.

It seems like there should be more of a pay off when you kinda reach the end. Yet. There he is:

Sitting across from his favorite photo.

And it's funny, but one of my buddies said:

"Turning 50 mess with you? Thinking about the less time in front of the horse than what's in back of the cart?"

And I'm really not. I still feel great, but my son had this to say on the day after my birthday:

"Does it bother you that 80% of your life is probably gone?"

(Why oh why did my kids turn out to be wise-asses? Where did they get it from?)

I laughed.

But then I saw this photo.

And I thought of that old guy. Heading off to the diner alone. Thinking about what she always ordered when she sat across from him. Having a conversation in his head with her as he ate.

Life is hard.

But it isn't sad.

Thank God he has that time to think back on.

Thank God the love didn't die with her.

Thank God she left a mark somewhere.

I'm imaging a few kids.

A happy life.

Laughs, love, days of wonder.

How can that be sad?

It just isn't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie