D.B. of the Week - My Vet

Paris is a ball of energy around our house.

Normally.

Despite the fact that she is now 5 years old Paris moves around non-stop. I often have to chase her away from me because she's relentless.

But on Friday we noticed that she was actually sleeping.

Then we noticed that she wasn't eating or drinking anything at all.

Soon enough we were trying to coax her outside.

Then she didn't want to even go for her car ride.

So...off to the vets we went.

Sam is a big-hearted kid and he was infinitely worried. He sat in the room with me as the vet started asking questions. It didn't take long on the initial visit. We were sent home with some antacid pills, basically, and supposedly Paris received a shot in the back room that would have her up and moving in no time.

$284!

But whatever, right? You have to keep the living things alive.

It didn't work.

Paris was worse off on Tuesday morning. Now mind you, she hasn't eaten a single thing or taken more than a sip of water since Friday.

Here comes D.B. of the week:

Vet: So, have you noticed a change in her appetite?

Me: I told you 12 hours ago, she hasn't eaten a thing in 4 days.

Vet: Has she lost weight?

Me: She weighed 47 pounds a month ago. She weighed 43 pounds last night. She weighs 41 today.

Vet: So she has?

I didn't even answer that one.

Vet: When she swallows do you notice a gag reflex or regurgitation?

Me: She has not swallowed anything since Friday.

Vet: So, you haven't noticed anything?

Again. I didn't answer.

Vet: Have you noticed if her bowel movements are strained or if they're runny?

I must have rolled my eyes because the guy looked a bit nervous.

Me: I do not believe that she has had a bowel movement since she hasn't eaten a thing since Friday.

He looks down at his papers for a long while.

Vet: So you started noticing the symptoms on Friday?

Me: Are you for real?

Another person came into the room shortly after that. Evidently I had been speaking with a tech of some sort.

New Vet: So, Paris is having trouble with vomiting, right?

As I write this, Paris is currently in the hospital.

The estimate is for over a grand. She will most likely be in for 1-3 days.

New Vet: We're going to see why she's having trouble swallowing.

Me: That would be great.

Of all the D.B.'s of the week up until now this was the first one that I might have choked had I figured out an exit plan.

Visiting hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. if you'd like to see Pair-Pair.

Donations can be made payable to Kathy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie