My New I-Phone

First off: Happy Birthday to my buddy, Jeff Renaldo - love you, pal!

Secondly,

My family certainly knows me well.

The one thing that is unchanged around these parts is that I'm not big on change.

Of course, I do use my phone for work and it truly is a huge asset for a lot of other things I enjoy doing like reading news and O also enjoy Twitter and busting on my friends on Facebook.

So it's in my hand a lot of the time.

Yet I had a bit of a problem because if I were to take the upgrade through my provider I was going to lose my data plan. I was resigned to the fact that I'd stay with a 4S for the rest of my life.

Which was okay, I guess, but my beautiful wife and adoring children had a plan to surprise me with the I-Phone 6 for my birthday. They were so excited (and so fearful that I needed a week to get used to the idea of change) that they gave it to me a week early.

I didn't jump for joy when I opened the box and while I certainly appreciated it, and certainly wanted the upgrade there was one thing holding my excitement in check.

Yep.

As soon as I saw the box I started dreading the anxiety that I would feel as my data was switched to the new phone.

It was a truly tangible thing.

And it's awful disconcerting knowing that you can't fully appreciate something because you know the angst it will bring you.

Let me further illustrate it for you.

Do you remember Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets?

That would have been me had my wife not saved me.

People laughed at the fact that he was such a sad sack in that movie, but I watched it with a real lump in my throat, and while I have mostly conquered it...there are moments.

Kathy decided to make the switch with the phones as the Bills game was on this past Sunday. She figured that if I were looking at the screen I'd be less occupied with what she had to do to get my data transferred.

And let me tell you, I did good.

Not a single word of anger.

I waited patiently.

Kathy struggled with a couple of the changes, but not once did I shout out:

JUST FORGET IT! GIVE ME MY OLD PHONE BACK!!

So, here we are.

A new phone.

It's awesome, by the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie