Free Travel Bag!


Isn't that lovely?

My free travel bag is on the way if I freaking sign up for AARP.

And let me tell you, I'm sorta' ready.

This is the deal.

On Monday and Tuesday I felt great. I pushed the foot pain clear of my mind and ever since the doctor told me that it would be sticking around, I just sort of gave up trying to battle it.

Life is like that. You get used to crap and sooner or later it becomes part of the routine.

But I awoke on Wednesday ready to go and when I put my foot on the floor I felt a real stabbing pain in my right ankle - which is supposed to be the better of the two.

I didn't think much of it.

Dogs out, get the papers, eat cereal, chug coffee and out by 6:30. To the real big job downtown, make fun of a couple of people, walk around the ground floor and then through the 12 stories.

By the time I got to the ground I couldn't walk without bringing a whole lot of attention to myself.

"You gotta' go home, old man," the 20-something kid said to me.

I considered it. I should ice and elevate. Damn! Why didn't I put on the air casts?

The phone rang.

"OSHA is here!"

I headed to that site.

Four stories, limping all the way.

No sympathy.

"Go home!" the OSHA guy said.

I did.

I went home and got the air cast and went to three more jobs.

On the last job there was a real young kid there working beside a man who is five years older than me. As we talked about our problems, the kid looked on, amused.

"How old are you?" I asked.

"19," he said.

"You wait," I said. "When you're 50 you'll be talking about this stuff."

"50!" He said. "I ain't living until I'm that old!"

Little bastard.

Ice, elevate.

I ain't retiring yet.

F&*$ the travel bag!

The card went in the garbage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie