In Your Infinite Wisdom

My father was tremendous at arguing.

In fact, he would argue almost anything just to get me to take another look at things.

In doing that he made me consider things I never would have considered, and he also allowed me to become a royal pain in the ass to my own children.

Clayton Kershaw is a pitcher for the L.A. Dodgers and everyone who follows baseball knows that he's the best.

I guess I got sick of hearing my kids sing his praises. I have nothing against Kershaw, mind you, I just hate when anyone who isn't wearing an interlocking NY on his chest gets too much attention.

"He needs to do it in the playoffs," I said to Jake and Sam. "You can't call him the best until he does it when the pressure is on.

During Kershaw's first playoff start this year he was pitching a gem when the bottom fell out.

He gave up 8 runs in the game and I quickly reminded the boys.

3 days later he got beat again.

Sam really didn't want to hear it, but in an effort to make my Dad proud...

...I bashed him over the head with the fact that:

(Let's say it together now).

"Cliff was right and you were wrong."

(OK, I can see how that might get a tad irritating).

It drive Sam absolutely crazy.

Of course he really didn't have much on his side in the way of facts as Kershaw did take a beating, but as he was taught, he wasn't going down meekly.

He argued back.

(His poor kids are going to suffer the same fate).

"Big deal! You throw crap against the wall all day long. Clifford Michael, in his infinite wisdom, was right about Kershaw. Let's all bow down to Clifford Michael, the great genius of the world."

General notes:

(Sam has a theory that everyone's middle name is Michael -he does it in honor of his friend in South Jersey).

I really didn't have an answer to his rebuttal and he just kept going on the same theme:

"Oh great wizard, tell us what is happening next. Oh brilliant man, please share your wisdom with us peons."

I took to calling him "Clayton" every time we passed in the hall.

And eventually everyone started telling us to please just shut up!

God I love to argue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie