Featured Work of the Week - M.E. By Melissa Etheridge

I remember when I first heard about Melissa Etheridge. My buddy Tom who lived up the road had the record and he invited us over to listen to it. Tom is the biggest Who fan I know (sorry, Terry) and we would often argue about Who versus the Stones.

Tom played the record with Similar Features on it, for me and my brother John, and we all agreed that Melissa rocked like a man. We all wondered if she was good looking, but as it turned out, she later came out as gay. Didn't matter at all. Good artist.

Soon after we found out she was a Bruce fan as well and she famously sang the line "So Mary climb in," when singing Thunder Road with Bruce. Springsteen laughed.

By chance I was listening to E-Street radio yesterday when Melissa was guest d-j and she talked about all of that stuff back then - she didn't mention Tom. But she also talked about her new song - where she went for the Bruce sound. She nailed it. It's a great song and I was instantly drawn to the line "There's a billion stars out in an endless sky."

Get it. It's good!


I Won't Be Alone Tonight

Gonna put my boots on, pull back my hair
There’s a heartbreak in the night, but I don’t care
Got to find me an angel, one that’s just a little mean
In cheap sunglasses and low rise jeans

I’ve had enough of a stuffed up wall
I’m breaking out tonight that’s all
Don’t owe nobody money as far as I can recall
I, I won’t be alone tonight
The darkness will end and I won’t be alone, won’t be alone tonight
There’s a billion stars out in an endless sky
And I won’t be alone, won’t be alone, won’t be alone tonight

Talking to the mirror, working up my nerve
I say you’ve had much more of this than you deserve
Come on
Come on lift up my head, I gotta take a little chance
I’m gonna meet a beat my feet can dance
I’ve had enough of a one way screen, hours and hours of cheap caffeine
Get me a clean shirt, find me the in-between

Ohh Ohh Ohh Ohhhhhh, Ohh Ohh Ohh Ohhhhhh
Ohh Ohh Oh oh alone, oh oh alone
Oh Oh Oh alone tonight
Made my bed and that's my choice
I just wanna hear another human voice
Screaming pillows and secret tears
Every single night for a hundred million years

But not tonight

I, I won’t be alone tonight
The darkness will end and I won’t be alone, won’t be alone tonight
Ohh Ohh Ohh Ohhhhhh, Ohh Ohh Ohh Ohhhhhh

Ohh Ohh Ohh Ohhhhhh
Won’t be alone tonight
No no no no no
Tonight, tonight, won’t be alone tonight

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie