YOU'RE WELCOME!!!!!!

So, sitting in a doctor's office the other day for the 4th time as we set up the surgery for next week. Evidently everyone and their brother must make sure you're okay before they'll even do it, so there's an endless supply of people testing you.

Let me set the scene.

There are just three of us in the room. Me, a nurse, and a middle-aged woman. I'm seated as is the middle-aged woman and the nurse is running around working at breakneck speed. She hands each of us a form to fill out and I get to work, as does the other woman.

The nurse says thank you to the middle-aged woman for some reason.

The middle aged woman says: "You're welcome," in plain voice and then just yelps and screams out:

"YOU'RE WELCOME!"

We've all been startled before, right?

I felt an absolute chill up and down my spine. My heart was racing. I had dragged the pen across the top of the page as nearly shitting my pants caused my hand to involuntarily jerk across the page.

"So sorry," the woman said, in normal voice, "I have Tourette's."

"I HAVE TOURETTE'S!" SHE SCREAMED.

I had to be peeled off the ceiling again. It had still caught me by complete surprise.

And I must have looked as crazed as I felt because she apologized again. She explained that she didn't curse when it happened, but that she couldn't control it either. She was really intent in making me feel better, but the more she talked the more I waited for it to happen again, and the more she felt she needed to apologize.

"Do you live in Niagara Falls?" she asked.

"No," I said.

"You look like someone I know," she continued.

"He must be good-looking," I said.

(I say that every time).

She laughed.

"He is good-looking," she said.

"HE IS GOOD-LOOKING!" SHE SCREAMED.

Again, my heart raced. The scream was the loudest scream I'd ever heard. She apologized again, and then mercifully the nurse called me name.

"Good luck," the lady said.

I ducked into the other room. As my blood pressure was being taken I thought of how difficult that poor woman's life must be. She was a perfectly warm and gentle soul and every day had to be a real battle.

"You ready for the surgery," my nurse asked.

"There's a lot worse things than a bum hip," I said.

"She's a wonderful woman," the nurse said, by way of explanation.

When my exam was over the woman was still seated.

"Goodbye, handsome guy," she said as I walked out.

I laughed.

"It was nice to meet you. Good luck."

I closed the door and headed out, her smile still in my mind's eye.

"GOODBYE, HANDSOME GUY!"

The closed door muffled it a bit.

Damn.

I wish her the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie