To My Buddy, Mark

Over 40 years ago I met my friend Mark at a little league playoff baseball game.

You see, Mark was the starting pitcher for the Braves. I was the catcher for the Mets.

Mark was really good.

I was all right.

The playoff game was a real talked about event. My buddies Al, Joe and Tom were on the Braves. I was playing with my brother and a few friends of my own. The Braves were heavily favored because they had the tough pitchers. Mark was the real problem.

I recall the game as if we played it yesterday.

I was the first batter.

I hit Mark's first pitch for a single.

Now that sounds a lot better than it actually was.

Did you think a line shot up the middle?

I actually hit it about four feet, but it was in a perfect spot between the catcher and the third baseman. I had swung with all my might and topped it into a spinning circle. I was safe at first when the dust settled.

Two batters later I was at 3rd with two outs.

I had stolen second and third.

Again, it sounds better than it looked.

The ball had escaped the catcher. I could have moon-walked to the next two bases.

Yet Mark had struck out both guys.

So I was at 3rd when our best hitter, Bob Feltz, came up to the plate. Bob (Rest his soul) hit a long drive to left.

It was way foul.

It was also a home-run because the ump (a 14-year-old kid) called it fair.

We were beating the mighty Braves 2 to zip.

We lost.

The final score?

44 to 2.

I swear to God!

I still have nightmares about that game. It left a lasting scar because my new friend Mark had struck me out the next two times up and then for good measure he hit me in the ribs on my last at bat. I laid on the ground near tears thinking, 'I hate that guy.'

Turns out, I was wrong.

I love that guy!

For the next 40 years we have been friends.

We've laughed a lot.

We've played a ton of ball against each other.

We drank plenty of beers and shared a lot of great moments.

Mark has been having health problems, but he's battling hard.

He's also celebrating his 50th birthday in a couple of weeks.

His wife touched base the other day, asking that we help Mark feel the love we all hold for him.

Done.

Even if he did hit me in the ribs back about 40 years ago.

Happy Birthday, buddy.

I still hit a single off you...

...deal with it!

Comments

John said…
So glad I never had to face him on that mound. I was on the Braves too.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie