Cornfield after Cornfield

So, I returned to the Kansas City, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska area again and I must say...

...I can find pretty good food anywhere.

I have a nose for it.

I was happy to make the drive from Kansas City to Omaha listening to the local radio folks talk about the Cardinals and the Chiefs. It's weird, but you can feel the excitement of the people when the sports teams are doing well.

(Take my word for it, Buffalo).

I honestly couldn't care less. It was all about the pursuit of the perfect steak.

And as I drove I had to keep flipping the stations on the regular radio to find something to listen to. How and why people don't have satellite radios is beyond me.

What a pain in the ass regular radio is and all the hosts are really irritating as they try to be funny.

Anywhoha...

One of the hosts was reading quotes from wise people and he read one from someone that said:

"People always want more out of life. There can't be true happiness until one feels satisfied."

That's a mouthful.

And I chewed on it as I drove...looking at cornfields forever.

Is true satisfaction even possible?

Perhaps not for me.

Like those kids in the phone commercial:

I want more, more, more...

But when your mind is clear and you can truly assess from a long ways away.

I thought of the family. We are in good shape there. We are the close family that we wanted to be. My beautiful wife holds it all together, of course, and the thought of each kid made me smile. They are true beauties.

I thought of my brothers and sisters and my Mom and of course, the pain of losing members stripped me of some of the satisfaction.

How could you not want more there?

So I looked to the clear, bright sky.

"Got anything for me?"

I flipped the radio station and the song "Spirit in the Sky" came on. I smiled at the verse: "You got a friend in Jesus."

"I need more," I said.

About five miles out I passed a sign on the side of a worn-out barn:

"Tired? Jesus Saves."

I laughed.

Then the weird part.

Remember the last trip to Omaha?

I heard Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" and really enjoyed the fact that I was on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

It came on again!

I sang the line at the top of my lungs.

Passing cornfields.

A little satisfied.

Comments

John said…
I'm surprised "Satisfaction" from the Stones didn't come on the radio. That would have been scary!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie