Family Day

The post-surgery pain had me up in plenty of time to contemplate things I'm thankful for. Of course, that same pain sort of chases thoughts of glee from your brain, but there had been a moment.

They were putting me down for the surgery and I had been wheeled into the operating room as they gave me the sleeping gas. The nurse in my ear told me it was about to happen, and then I felt an instant, overwhelming tightness in my chest.

"What's going on?" That nurse said.

Not what you're looking to hear as you're feeling a struggle for breath.

"It's fine," a male voice said behind me and sure enough the tightness subsided, and then I was out. Two hours later later they were waking me up.

It seemed like two seconds.

So I thought about that for a moment when I woke in the middle of the night on Thanksgiving Morning, and I vowed to spend some time among the living.

Kathy's Mom made us a turkey. It was perfectly prepared. My mother provided the stuffing and it was tremendous. We shared the meal, talking about some of our personal quirks, pointing them out in a light mood, and it was weird because it was just us.

Normally we are surrounded by a huge family.

Despite the fact that we weren't seeing them this year, I was certainly thankful for all of them, and of course, we all chatted throughout the day.

I considered the Thanksgivings of the past - we had a memorable one in California that we videotaped. Much of the tape was my Dad moaning because he had the gout.

Then I spent the rest of the day with my constant companion, Melky, who is unbelievably limping because of an infected paw.

We have to race, very slowly, up the stairs.

And just as I thought, the kids and of course, my beautiful wife are here, wondering if I need anything.

I settled in for a nap as I watched football and they all headed out to shop for an hour.

They sent me a half dozen texts.

"Are you okay?"

I sent this message back:

"Fell down the stairs. Everything is going black. Should be over soon."

The answer I got?

"Okay, then. We'll be home in a little while."

How can a man not be thankful for a family like that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie