Favorite Places to Sit

I have my own designated spot at home. It's the seat on the couch directly across from the television and close enough to the heating pad.

I've spent too much time in that spot recently.

Melky has a spot too. She gets the seat right next to me, and she jumps up and moves close so I give her the hug and pat on the head she needs.

Then we watch Judge Judy.

Yet it got me to thinking about some of my other favorite places to sit throughout the years.

My Grandpa used to sit out in the garage at the house on Spruce Street. We'd all go over there and sit with him. He wasn't watching television there. He was watching the neighborhood. He'd wave at some people. He'd flip off others. He'd wait for us.

"Come on in, sit down."

He'd talk to us about everything.

If Grandpa was in a good mood it was a great place to sit.

If he wasn't...it was an uncomfortable squat.

So, not to be out done, Dad would always set up the screen door in our garage, and on warm summer nights, with the Yankees on the television, and cukes and tomatoes cut up on a plate, we'd sit and watch, and laugh and play cards, and wave at people, and flip other people off.

We all sat there comfortably.

For years and years.

So I had a jump off point.

I thought of sitting in a room at the TKE house back in college. It was a room that we called Jungleland.

It was properly named.

The beer flowed. Discarded chew ran down the walls. The place stunk to high heaven. We laughed a lot there. We listened to Bruce on a loop. We waved at people passing by. We flipped a few off too.

There were moments when it seemed like we'd never leave that room because it was so comfortable, but we had to get out of there eventually. All my college buddies remember Jungleland though...and that makes it a comfortable place.

Now.

The kids come to me. One at a time, a few times a day. They stop by with their phone or the I-pad.

"Did you see the goal Ovy scored last night?"

Jake will sit beside me (much to Melky's dismay) and play the video clip for me.

The other day Jake and Sam stood on either side of me and they played a video for Emminem.

They know I'm not a fan of that art form, but they wanted my approval, that it wasn't all bad.

(And it wasn't).

Yet I sat through all 7 minutes of the video despite my misgivings about the 'lack of music'.

Because I was comfortable in my seat.

"He's not a bad writer, right?" Jake asked.

"That was good," I said.

And they headed off, happy that they'd cultured me.

All the while I was just trying to give them a seat on the couch where they could think back and be comforted.

It's important to find a comfortable place to rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie