The Wind Beneath My Wings


I'm writing this entry on Sunday morning as my buddy Gag races through the streets in the Goofy Marathon Challenge to raise money for M.D.

Talk about a real inspiration.

And I'm doing my part, getting text messages that update me on Gag's progress as he runs, and hurts, and as sweat races down his back and into his eyes and as he thinks about getting a drink and the cramping in his old legs.

"When you're at your worst," I told him. "Think of me as I lie down for nap."

I got an 'LOL' back.

Yet what is inspiring about it is that my legs hurt just thinking about running such a distance.

"You're the wind beneath my wings," I said.

"I run for the people who can't," Gag answered.

And that answer made me reach hard for a breath.

Life certainly is about being there for other people. Gag has a stake in the claim as his brilliant son, Michael, is one of the people who can't race beside his Dad, but do me a favor and don't feel sorry for either of them, because they don't think of it much.

They run side-by-side, with their beautiful wife and Mom - Suzanne - every single day.

You won't read much about the race in your local paper, but Ray Lewis and Lance Armstrong will be pictured somewhere there.

I like the picture in this blog better.

Oops, I have to get back to work...I just received another text telling me Gag's pace.

He should finish it up just in time for me to see his final marks...

...when I get up from my nap.

Great job, buddy.

You are the wind beneath my wings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie