Meet My Girlfriend


I thought I was confused yesterday.

This story about the Notre Dame football star Manti Te'o is certainly bizarre.

I don't watch a lot of college football but I did catch an ESPN tear-seeking piece about how Te'o was having a great year because he was playing in honor of his grandmother in September and the tragic loss of his girlfriend in November.

Te'o said that her last words to him:

"I love you."

I remember thinking:

What a great guy. He's about family, dedication and love.

Uh, maybe not.

Turns out, or so it seems, he didn't actually have a girlfriend. The girl who tragically succumbed to leukemia it seems never really existed.

Te'o is of course backtracking saying that he was part of an elaborate hoax.

Please, please, please tell me how he's gonna' try and spin that.

His father never met his girlfriend.

His friends never met his girlfriend.

Turns out he didn't either.

Te'o is saying that he only met his girlfriend on-line and through Twitter.

Damn, if that's true I'm Alysa Milano's boyfriend. She's on my Twitter feed.

And of course, there was money to be made.

Te'o was gunning for the Heisman. What better way then to try and garner sympathy?

I can't imagine what is coming next.

What the hell?

If these stories keep coming out of the real world I'm never going to be able to write a real fiction story.

Sorry for your loss, Manti.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie