It's a Miracle


A beautiful young woman lost her life this week. The details of the accident aren't real important, but the pain left behind certainly is. Once more my hometown was rocked by tragedy.

There was a lot of head-shaking going on and my heart was certainly heavy as I thought of the family...the loving family...and all of my friends who were hurting.

On Wednesday morning, thinking about life and love and death and pain I headed to a convenience store in the Syracuse area. Just another little store that had coffee and the USA Today.

I must admit I was looking for more, but you can't buy such things over a counter.

I was opening up those little creamers and dumping them into the 16 ounce coffee cup when an old man entered and stood in front of the cash register. He was real old.

About 90, I thought.

He wasn't talking to me when he said it, but I took his words as mine anyway.

"Everyone is looking for a miracle," he told the girl behind the counter. "I get two miracles every day. The first comes in the morning when I'm able to get my pants on, and the second one comes at the end of the day when I hit the pillow."

I looked up.

He caught my eye.

"Everyone is looking for a miracle," he said again. "Life is a gift. It's all a miracle."

I don't much believe in coincidences.

Ever since I felt loss so profound I look around for the little miracles that life brings.

On Wednesday it came in the form of a little old man who was still excited to be able to get his pants on and make his trip to the store.

The death of a beautiful young woman shook a lot of people to the core this week. Every day that she lived was a miracle.

That is the difficult thing to remember as we grieve for her.

RIP Connie.

May the rest of us appreciate the little miracles.

Every day.

Twice a day.

At least.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty