Valentine's Day

Continuing with tradition my wife made the announcement in the middle of last week.

"Don't get me anything for Valentine's Day, it's stupid."

Perfect, pressure off, and besides, I agree with her. Like Halloween it is for children. It is also sort of a made-up deal for big business in the card and flower industry. Fine with me.

Yet there is that impulse to at least acknowledge that you're someones valentine, right?

I started writing at 5:30 this morning - the third straight morning of doing so, and lost in the frenzy, I lost track of the time - until my wife delivered a hot cup of coffee for me.

And still, the Valentine's wish from my mouth was non-existent. I didn't even remember it was today.

When I finally broke free from the writing trance, I headed downstairs to hear my wife chatting with my mother. The conversation was lively, animated, and sure to boost my mother's spirits.

I headed downstairs and saw that my clothes from last week's road trip were washed and folded.

Still, I didn't say anything because Valentine's Day wasn't on my mind.

As I prepared dinner, and even cleared the dishes from the table afterwards, it suddenly occurred to me that we were in the middle of Valentine's Day.

"Hey, Happy Valentine's Day," I said.

"Yeah, yeah," Kathy said.

We were courteous and respectful of each other all day.

It was a perfect Valentine's day, but no different from any other day, really, and that's the true meaning of such a day, right?

Say right!

I saved money by not buying a gift.

Comments

Larry L said…
Sue and I were walking out of a store this afternoon, the greeter said Happy Valintines Day, and that was the first I thought of it. She responded the same way Kathy did. I like it that way.
deafjeff said…
That's because our wives are smart, strong women. They don't trinkets to know that we love them. Plus they save up all that stuff for something big, not a 69.99 heart shaped something.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie