I Can Almost Hear You Sigh

Digging my CD's out of the old car for the switch to the new one gave me an opportunity to sort my entire collection as I put them in alphabetical order like Jack Nicholsen did in As Good As it Gets.

As I put them in order I stumbled across two CD's with Jeff's handwritten scrawl across the front - 'The best CD's ever made', it said.

He had made me copies of his mixed tapes with the best of the best on them.

His favorite songs.

I wasn't anticipating many surprises, but man, it was going to be tought to listen to. I carried the CD's around for a couple of days, and having a long ride today, I threw them on.

Very few surprises - Knopfler led it off, followed by a solo Pete Townshend, Roger Waters from Amused to Death (a great album), Bruce doing Shake, Rattle & Roll with Jerry Lee Lewis, old Rod Stewart. Good stuff.

I decided to sing along rather than feel sad, knowing that he'd be nudging me and asking if it was the best CD I'd ever heard.

Then the Glimmer Twins with Memory Motel and Almost Hear You Sigh.

I can almost hear you sigh, I can almost hear you cry, and then What'll I do without you, they say that life goes on. I'm feeling sorry for myself - can't believe you're gone.

The singing can't get much better! The words can't get much worse!

Damn!

I sang it out loud and proud and the speakers in the new truck were shaking a little.

Jagger gave way to Paul Simon, then to Stewart again, back to Knopfler, on to Bruce, closing with old Sting.

Man, they don't make guys who appreciate good music like that anymore! I thought of my buddy Terry and my sister Carrie, and brother John.

I thought of how much they would enjoy those CD's also.

The greatest CD's ever made.

I'm taking orders here - who wants a copy of them? They're guaranteed to make you smile.

By the way there's no L'il Wayne on them. My kids asked me that as I played the Stones for them.

'You can't spell crap without rap,' as a wise man once told me.

Comments

chris said…
1 copy please!
Gag said…
i'll pick mine up when the Jamison is delivered.
Terry87 said…
Great music, like friends-get better with time. Every one of those songs he had for you-right bang on classic!
Put me down for a copy of each please, Cliff.

I'll be thinking of you guys halftime Sunday night. Maximum R & B.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie