Get that Edumacation

Saw that Indianapolis schools will be starting late on Monday so that the kids can work off their Super Bowl hangovers.

Great set of priorities there - way to teach the kids that football and partying is more important. I let the boys stay up and watch the 27-Time World Champion Yankees beat the piss out of the Phillies this past October, but I went to work bright and early the next morning to show them that responsibilities are still there to be met. (I had a headache, by the way).

But then again, we are a society that is amusing ourselves to death anyway, so why send a mixed message, right?

Here in Buffalo there's a story about a Pop Warner Football coach who was arrested for dealing drugs while the boys were practicing. When cops busted him he had $120,000 on him.

Good work if you can get it, I suppose.

Which brings me to the point - sometimes we need to question those that are teaching the kids, right? Thinking back, I had every sort of teacher imaginable (other than the hot one that picked up on the geeky, skinny (yes skinny), kid that was good in English). I had one's that hit me, others that didn't care, some who mailed it in, and some who I even considered a couple bricks short of a full load.

Yet I do know that teaching is rough and therefore teachers should get the benefit of the doubt in some cases. Earlier this year Jake was having trouble with one of his teachers and it drove me nuts because some of the things I was hearing was that the guy was being less than respectful. Now it may have gotten lost in the translation, but I didn't care if Jake was struggling with the material, I just wanted him to be treated respectfully.

As it turned out, the class ended with Jake passing and my never having met the guy -Kathy intervened and worked it out calmly, but there is a point here, and that is in knowing who is in charge of helping to shape and mold your kids.

Which brings me back to the hot teacher scenario. Kathy and I were watching a report of a beautiful blond with a 13-year old and I asked the inevitable question:

"Where were the hot teachers when I was growing up?"

My wife allowed the question to stand there for a moment, and then calmly responded:

"They were sleeping with the cool kids."

Comments

deafjeff said…
Didn't you have Miss Botsford? She was gone by the thime I got there.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie