USA! USA! USA!

That was a nice little win in hockey over Canada, wasn't it? I watched most of the game and was actually quite surprised, I thought Canada would take it - nice effort, thanks for coming, Canada has too much talent.

Yet it didn't work out that way and there are stories out about how it is another miracle on ice. It was a nice win, and I don't want to crap all over it, but it was hardly the same.

Before the game last night they were interviewing one of the American players who said he was born seven years after the 1980 game. He'd seen the movie and read about it in books, but certainly couldn't answer many questions about what lead up to that game. I mentioned to the screen that I'd already needed rehab by 1987.

Well, I remember all of that game. We hated Russia, and it's hard to drum up the same sort of hatred for the Canadiens. What're we going to hate them for? The metric system? Their goofy money? The eh crap? Their health care?

So, right there is the fundamental difference. It's nice to beat them at their own game, but there wasn't a cold war hatred for them.

And the game has changed too. The goal that beat Russia in that game, by Eruzioni, would've never gotten through last night - four defensemen playing goalie would've stopped it before it got through to the goalie, who is also wearing more pads now.

But whatever, I know exactly which seat I was sitting in when USA played Russia back in 1980. I remember the stupid news anchor from Channel 7 announcing the final score in the middle of the tie game. I remember the goalie, Jim Craig, skating around with the flag draped over his shoulders.

If you want the same sort of feeling now we'd have to beat Iran, or Iraq, or Afghanistan, and I don't think they could field much of a team.

But a win is a win and now they have to close it out. It may not be so easy.

That damn Russian team is stacked.

Comments

Gag said…
Your right. Nice win but no where near what we experienced in 1980. 22 year old college kids against the best team in the world. Still the greatest upset in sports history.
deafjeff said…
No doubt about it, these are just allstar teams. Any of them can win a given night. The '80 team was unreal, lot of future NHL'ers. Go Mike Ramsay.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie