May I Help You?

I'm not a patient man. I've accepted that. I no longer make telephone calls to discuss accounts because I am liable not to properly hold my tongue and I may respond in a manner that is less than helpful. Kathy has revoked this privilege.

During the course of the car accident and the subsequent issuance of the insurance check, I had little choice. The check was made out to me...and the bank. I needed a bank endorsement before I could endorse the check.

So.

I headed to the bank and was met by a true dimwitted girl who had no idea what a check even was.

"I'll get my manager."

The manager was a slightly older woman, who seemed equally confused.

"It's an insurance check signed to your bank and me. We've already satisfied the loan to your bank. We just need to have you endorse the check so we can recover what we laid out of our account."

"Oh, okay," she said.

Ten minutes later she was back.

"I'm not sure if I can endorse this," she said.

"Are you in charge?" I asked.

"Yes," she said, proudly puffing her chest out.

"Well then who else but you would be able to endorse it?" I asked.

"Let me make a call," she answered.

Another ten minutes...see above regarding patience.

"There's nothing I can do," she said.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Your check hasn't cleared yet."

"My check came from the dealer," I said.

"I still don't really understand it all," she said. "Can you come back in a couple of days?"

Now mind you this bank runs out of a grocery store. It's a convenient place, I suppose to put a bank with a bunch of clueless people.

She shoved the check back in my direction and then asked the question that absolutely blew my mind.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

I laughed. "Is there anything else you can help me with? Tell me, how did you help me so far?"

"I'm sorry," she said. "There's nothing I can do."

"So basically as a manager, you have little power? Some might even say you are useless."

She smiled. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

She asked it again!

"Sure, I have some cans in the back of my car can you carry them into the store for me," I said.

I got the laugh I was looking for from those in the back end of the line.

Unbelievably it took me nearly two weeks and seven unbelievable conversations with slow-witted people to finally get the check endorsed.

And you wonder why I have no patience.

Comments

Larry L said…
Been there done that. I am just surprised they were so nice. I think most people have forgot about customer service.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie