Still...it's a funny joke

A golfer is in trouble for saying that if Nancy Pelosi and Osama Bin Laden were stuck in an elevator with a US soldier who had only two bullets - that the soldier would shoot Pelosi twice and then try to strangle Bin Laden.

The guy is in trouble now, and he probably shouldn't have voiced it, but it is funny. That's the true story of it all, I suppose. People put their foot in their mouths and then have to apologize.

I'm right there with them - I'm horribly misquoted around here on a daily basis, but the truth of the matter is, the guy was just trying to be funny. I'm sure he doesn't want Pelosi actually shot twice.

Anyway, it got me thinking to some of the dumbest things ever said. The Jimmy the Greek, blacks are better athletes story comes to mind, as does Howard Cosell saying "Look at that monkey run."

The real shame in it is that there are recorders all over the place. People can do video on their blackberry's (don't worry about me finding how to work the video camera), but it is an instant society now.

If you're going to say something stupid, whether it's meant to be funny or not, you better be ready to face the music.

About ten years ago I worked with a man who I truly liked. He was a good guy, but he ran into some health problems. Being that I had to take his place whenever he called in sick, I was a little irritated with him. The very last time I spoke to him, I said, "We started a pool on what is going to finally take you out."

He laughed and said, "If I were a betting man, I'd take the liver as the final culprit."

I said (get this), "Oh good, that's what I have in the pool."

He died two days later (God Bless Him) of liver failure.

At the wake, I met his grieving wife and introducing myself, I said, "I'm Cliff, I was a friend of your husband."

She said, "Are you the guy who started the pool?"

I wished the floor had swallowed me up at that moment.

"He thought it was funny. He loved you," she said.

So, take it from me. Watch those jokes.

Comments

deafjeff said…
What about the peppers?
Cliff Fazzolari said…
They didn't hurt me - I ate 20 of 'em

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie