What’re You Reading?

It’s funny, but I can’t imagine going to sleep at night without first reading from a book.

I’m definitely the only one in this home doing such a thing. I go up to bed a good 45-minutes before I go to sleep, and on the very good days I’m reading something that I think about during the day, and I can’t wait for that moment when I pick up the book.

My love affair with reading started way back in 2nd grade and I believe that I’ve read every night with the exception of about 30 nights in my life.

There are nights when I fall asleep holding the book, and it’s with great respect for the book - I hardly ever drop it. I often wake and finish the chapter and then shut it down.

I have 4 filled bookcases in my room and at least 4 other filled bookcases in other rooms in the house.

“We have to do something with some of the books,” Kathy said a few months back.

(I don’t know why! They’re just sitting there).

“I’ll try,” I said. 

Then I looked through one bookcase, and there wasn’t a single book I wanted to let go.

“You can donate them to a library,” she said.

I ignored the suggestion because during my examination of the books I picked out an old John Sandford from around 2000, and though I vaguely remembered the plot…

…it caught me again…

…and I found myself thinking about it today…

…and I couldn’t wait to get to reading time!

Now, I’m fully aware of where my love of books came from. I stopped by Mom’s and found myself rifling through her collection.

Mom greatly encouraged my reading of adult-targeted works of fiction when I was less than 10 years old.

Was the greatest gift I’ve ever received:

The love of reading good books.

“I hate reading,” a friend of mine said to me recently. “It’s so boring.”

“You’re a mess,” I said.

He laughed.

I meant it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie