Just Wow

The excitement was too much around Camp Clifford all day on Saturday.

The boys (including my nephew John) were fired up!

The Bills were set to battle their longtime nemesis - the Patriots at the Ralph in 5 degree temperatures.

I thought about going to the same stadium for an AFC championship game against the Raiders back in the day.

Nervous but absolutely insane with excitement.

My role has changed!

I kept reminding the boys that I wouldn’t go to the stadium and sit outside unless someone paid me $5 grand.

Funny what time does!

So, I played my new role.

Made food, warned them about the hazards of frostbite, mentioned that they needed to be careful about drinking too much and getting home.

Yeah.

Mother hen!

And then the game started and this Bills team was every bit as good as that Bills team that beat the Raiders 51 to 3 to go to their first super bowl ever.

Just an awesome display in every way. They could do nothing wrong. 

New England looked like the team the Bills might scrimmage against before the season started.

And the boys, of course, were on cloud 9 where they will certainly remain all week.

I remember that excitement too.

Waiting for the next game.

Of course, the 90’s Bills never completely finished the job.

Maybe these kids can.

Would certainly be amazing for the city and especially for my boys.

It brings a smile to my face, but damn, I can’t get that excitement back.

As the Bills trounced them last night all I kept thinking was:

“Get home safely!”

Then I thought about the game AFTER the Bills over the Raiders.

They lost in the Super Bowl.

Lost 4 straight times in that damn game.

And the pain of that was all-consuming.

Funny thing about those roles…

…I don’t want my kids to feel that!

But, then again, after that beat-down…

…maybe they won’t have to.

Hard to imagine that Josh Allen WON’T be accepting the trophy as the confetti falls down because…

…Wow…

…that was something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie