Short History of the Long Road

Like everyone else in 2020 we’ve watched a lot of shows, and movies.

We’ve looked around at everything and we’ve caught a bunch of trailers.

The plots all seem to run together.

We caught a break on Saturday night.

Rented a movie that we’d heard nothing about:

The Short History of the Long Road and I liked it for a lot of reasons.

One is that it’s set out west and I’ve always enjoyed driving through that part of the country. Every glance is like a post card.

The main characters also live a life of wander. They moved along in a van with just the clothes on their back.

Made me think of my old friend, Zane Conway, who has most likely traveled the entire world by now.

Last I heard from Zane he was in China, and loved it there.

The time before that he’d been in South America and mentioned that the most beautiful girls in the world lived there.

“Would be fun to just move from place to place,” Kathy said.

“When I was younger,” I said.

The road.

Sam and Johnny have had a summer of movement, believe it or not. Sam has headed to North Carolina twice and Johnny has been in my door a few times.

Kathy wasn’t enamored with Sam’s latest trip, but I said to let him go.

I wandered around a lot in my 20’s, living in California, Maryland and Connecticut.

I also once when on a road trip with my buddy Al, and we were supposed to just go to NYC, but we spent time at The Stone Pony, headed to DC, spent a night in Albany, and got home nearly a week later than we said we would.

It was a trip we talk about a lot even now. We caught a Yankees game, went to the Stone Pony hoping Bruce was hanging out...

...and we had zero point zero dollars left when we arrived back in North Collins.

We hadn’t eaten all day, and the car was running on fumes because of how little gas we had left.

I was home ten minutes when the phone rang. My Dad called for me, yelling that Al was on the phone.

“What?” I asked. “I’ve been with you for a week and now you’re calling me??”

“Just had to tell you,” Al said. “I found a $20 bill that I had hidden in my wallet in case of an emergency.”

So, let the kids go a little.

They’ll have a whole bunch of laughs.

For years and years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie