Evidently I’m A Communist

A few weeks back I posted something about being excited to watch a Yankees game.

A guy I know through work, who I considered to be a friend, made the following remark:

“You can have them! They all knelt for the anthem. I’m not watching baseball ever again.”

I know better than to engage but I had to clear it up for him.

“They didn’t kneel during the anthem. They set aside 5 minutes before the anthem was played and guys were free to kneel,” I wrote.

He didn’t answer and I never gave it another thought.

Until yesterday.

The guy pulled up in his truck. Trump sticker in the window.

“Hey, what’s going on?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“Don’t even talk to me.”

“What’s up?” I asked, thinking it had something to do with the job.

“You’re a communist,” he said. “You defend the black lives matter crowd. They’re disgusting.”

I still wasn’t sure what he was talking about, but then I thought about the baseball post.

“Kneeling?” I asked.

“Yeah. Kneeling. I’m an American. I thought you were too. Those people are burning our country down with their black lives bullshit.”

I was stunned to silence. Like I said, I’ve known the man for 20 years.

“I’m not watching sports anymore. Done with baseball, football, basketball and even hockey. Eff those a**holes.”

He stepped on the gas, spewing dirt all over the lot.

“Communist!” He yelled.

I laughed.

Felt sorry for him and couldn’t believe that he was done with all sports, raging at his friends, and screaming mad about a peaceful protest.

“That’s crazy,” I said to the guy who was seated beside me.

“Don’t let it get to you,” the guy said. “You have no idea how rampant racism is. This job has a half dozen black guys on it and they’re harassed every day.”

“Seriously?” I asked.

“Yeah, but what do you know? You’re  a communist.”

I left the site. 

Felt badly about all of it, but you know, it doesn’t have anything to do with me.

I’m watching baseball.

All the sports, actually.

He’s not punishing me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie