The Bottle Cap

We were in the car coming back feom somewhere and somehow everything rolled forward in the car and I saw the cap for my water bottle go flying. 

 The backstory here is that all I drink these days is water and I have a half-dozen water bottles that I rotate. 

 Losing one would be devastating. 

 "Where'd that cap go?" I asked. 

 "I'll find it when we get home," Kathy said.

But she didn't. 

 Neither did I. 

 I moved the seats forward. I picked up the floor mats. I dug between the seats. 

 Nothing! 

 Now, I'm well aware that a normal person can take such things in stride. 

 It's just a water bottle.

Yet, the next day, I was a bit of a mental mess. 

Where was it? 

 At each stop, I retraced my steps, digging under the seats, and the same floor mats.

 Nothing! I sent a text in the direction of home.

“Maybe the cap bounced into your purse."

 "Still looking for it? LOL?" 

 Funny for her because she knows it was driving me crazy. 

 I decided to end it right then and there.

 I pulled into the Dollar General and plunked down $10 for a new water bottle. Still not perfect. The new bottle wasn't red, like the old one. 

 But I said farewell. 

 Swallowed hard. 

 Stopped obsessing! 

 Three days later, the bottle cap came up again.  

“Did you find it?" Kathy asked, chiding me.

 "No!" I actually bought two more bottles with caps. 

 So, I'm way ahead of the game now... 

 ...but I'm still looking. 

 It's not bothering me at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie