Brothers

We grabbed a cake and allowed Jake to choose his dinner for his birthday. He chose pizza and wings from Imperial and there were onions on the pizza.

I picked up the ice cream cake, but it wasn’t about the food.

I mostly enjoyed the banter between the boys. Jake’s and Matt’s girlfriends were here so we had a chance to share a bunch of the old stories.

We laughed a lot.

I couldn’t help but think about years gone past and the love and togetherness of my siblings.

“One-on-one up to five?” Matt asked Sam.

“I’m gonna’ kill you,” Sam said.

I popped my head out and watched them shoot around. I was tempted to ask for the ball, but didn’t.

Let them play.

The balls were in the air and the sound of their laughter broke the quiet of the early evening neighborhood.

They’re looking around the house for furniture that they can grab.

A table or two.

The bar.

“Take it,” I said. “We don’t need all this stuff.”

A little while later, Sam came rushing in.

“You win?”

“No, he cheated.”

Matt laughed. “Wasn’t close.”

I thought about all the 2-on-2 games we played as kids.

Me and Jim against John and Jeff.

We battled hard and laughed every single day.

A little while later they all left together to have a party at Jake’s.

“Behave. Have fun, but be smart,” I said.

They didn’t bother to respond. They were planning their night out.

“Isn’t it great that they all get along so well?” Kathy asked.

Of course it is. 

They’re set up for a world of togetherness.

The best relationships of their lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie