“I Don’t Get it”

My son Jake is socially conscious. Today is also his birthday, and I’m proud of the way he thinks through the critical issues of the day.

He’s stumped.

About the treatment of black people in this country and through the years.

We have often spoke through music, exchanging lyrics. I told him about “American Skin” by Springsteen and how, for some reason, it was a controversial song when it was released 21 years ago.

“Why?” Jake asked after reading the lyrics. “It wasn’t anti-cop.”

“People don’t think things through,” I said. “Bruce was talking about what it’s like to be a minority and how dangerous it can be.”

He was the first white man to acknowledge it in a mainstream medium and he was ridden hard for it.

Jake texted me a few responses and also the lyrics from a song written by an angry, black rapper. He also wondered aloud as to why one specific person in a leadership position would stoke the fire.

“He wants the fight,” I said. “He needs the division. He wants to see if he has enough white people on his side to win the election.”

Jake spent a few minutes thinking on that.

“That’s sick.” He responded.

And it certainly is.

These next few months will be extremely ugly as the protesters will be painted as criminals and looters.

No mind will be paid at any of the rallies about what was being protested or how it can be fixed.

As Jake celebrates his 23rd birthday I’ve learned (finally) that I can’t shield him from the ugly in the world.

I’m proud of the fact that he can recognize it...

...and wants to see it gone.

“He can’t possibly win again,” Jake said. “Right?”

This time, I paused to think.

“He can,” I said. “Unfortunately there are a lot of people who can’t see past their own insecurities.”

“Damn.”

Well, Happy Birthday, kid.

You’re on the right side of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie