A Wake

112,702 people have died of Covid-19.

I thought about that as I watched the terrific grief of a family as I sat at a memorial service and wake on Sunday afternoon.

I saw the grief-stricken grandchildren. Just kids, wondering why Grandma wasn’t there.

I watched a father’s eyes tear up over and over again as he contemplated the loss of his daughter.

Two daughters got up and shared their love for their Mom. Both struggled mightily to stay composed.

The priest spoke of the 45-year coupling as the husband broke down in the front row.

I was just peeking in at the grief, also knowing that I’d miss my sister-in-law...

...but I was thinking of all the other families all across the land who have bid farewell (sometimes without even a service) to their loved ones.

For sure more than a million people have been affected by loss.

I spoke to a guy about the virus later in the day.

“It’s so overhyped,” he said.

And I didn’t bother to argue with him.

Luckily for him, he doesn’t know anyone who died because of the virus...

...and while my sister-in-law didn’t have the virus, her death was exacerbated by not being able to go to all of her scheduled treatments.

It’s not about her.

It’s about loss.

The family I watched like a fly on the wall was destroyed by the single death of a loved one.

Multiply that by 112-thousand-plus.

Overhyped?

I think it’s under hyped!

So much loss.

Lives over early.

No chance to say goodbye.

That’s tragic.

And it’s not even close to over.

Millions in pain.

It’s some hoax, huh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie