Dad

There’s a point in the Springsteen on Broadway session where he speaks of his father and how he, as a growing child, realizes that he needs approval.

Bruce then tells the audience that he put himself in his Dad’s work uniform when he hit the road...

...right down to the work boots.

“I write about factories. I’ve never seen the inside of one. I wrote about working hard. Never worked a 9-5 job in my life.”

But he set himself up as a working man...

...because that’s what he knew.

I think of that a lot when I’m lacing up my work books in the morning. I was the very last guy that my Dad would’ve thought would be in work boots every day.

He was fond of telling me that he gave me two educations.

He gave me more than that...

...and on his birthday I think of him even more than I do on just a typical work day, but I had the pleasure of working for him, and then with him.

When I was his employee he only said it once:

“People are watching you cause you’re the son of the boss. Make me look good.”

Then I watched him run a meeting.

He did it with confidence and good humor.

He brought everyone into the room with him. He made sure that every single person felt important. It’s a trick I still use when I’m doing a training.

And man, there’s nothing like putting on the uniform.

I’m right at home on a construction site, and I can’t build a box.

From the back and forth to the blood and sweat.

I get antsy when I’m not on a job for a few days...

...and that wasn’t me.

That was me doing the same thing that Bruce spoke of...

...imitating.

I’ve been profoundly aware of my role as a Dad.

I recall the best parts of my Dad...

...he made every kid feel important.

He’d hand you five bucks when you knew it was all he had.

“Don’t tell your mother.”

So, he lives on in my actions and in the actions of my siblings...

...our children will also imitate.

We are all set to gather in North Collins for sauce today.

We can all do a fair impression of Dad’s sauce, but there’s certainly a step down from the original.

Happy Birthday to Dad.

Bruce spoke about a dream he had after his father died.

He was on stage and his Dad was in the audience. He went to the side of his Dad’s chair and pointed to the performer on the stage.

“That’s what you always looked like to me.”

The star.

Like a good Dad is supposed to.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie