2018: One for the History Books

I always think of the last few lines of “This Hard Land” by Springsteen when I reach the end of a new year and think about the coming year.

“Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive...if you can...and meet me in the dream of this hard land.”

Stayed alive in 2018.

That’s a big part of it!

2018, on the surface, was a good year.

We saw Springsteen on Broadway in March.

I released ‘The Big D’ and it actually won in the fiction category at the New England Book Festival.

Me, Kathy and the boys enjoyed each other’s company.

Melky & Paris went for a ride everyday!

I battled leg, back and hip pain, but I ignored it and learned to live with it. I managed it with about 40 massages and spinal decompression.

I climbed ladders and played golf on the good days. I played golf better than I had in 15 years and had a blast doing it with my great friends.

By December, I released another book, “Everything I Know” and it fits right in with how I wanted to build a career....

...and the well is far from being dry.

I have the next one written (need to edit) and I’m writing the one after that. Never felt more comfortable with the process. Never enjoyed writing more.

I read at least 75 books. There are another 40 in the on-deck circle.

So, looking at it from afar...

...it should have been a great year...

...but it kinda’ wasn’t...

...because my two least favorite things were front and center:

Clutter and Chaos.

The nation is in trouble.

The “leader” thrives on chaos.

My mind felt cluttered, and I detested the chaotic schemes that were hatched...

...day after day after day after day.

I found it impossible to ignore, and incomprehensible to fathom.

Kids in cages, lies, vile behavior, punctuated by racial rants that culminated in a shutdown.

A mind that demands order felt disorderly, and that’s disconcerting to me because in the present configuration of things I am at a loss at figuring how it can be worked out.

What will 2019 bring?

“I hope there isn’t a civil war,” someone mentioned to me.

Good Lord!

Me too!!

So, 2018 is in the books. I don’t think history will be kind to some of the main players...

...but I pray for peace.

Let there be some peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie