Born Yesterday

I once wrote a story about a sad sack guy who always felt as if he were out of place. No matter where he was, he felt like he should be elsewhere.

I thought about that yesterday as I returned to work.

We all often work thinking about the weekend...

...and then when we get those days off...

...we sometimes wish to be back at work!!

That happens to me every now and again.

You see, I like routines.

When I’m off for a few days, I become discombobulated.

There’s no sense to it!

“What are we doing today?” I’ll often ask on a day off.

“I don’t know!” Kathy will say.

All I’m asking for is a plan.

I can manage a weekend because there’s enough of a vibe to make that work. I have a routine for a weekend.

I don’t have a routine for a part of a Monday and a Tuesday off.

I wander around a bit like a lost dog...

...wondering what I should do next.

I mentioned it to the first crew I saw, believing that they’d laugh at me.

“It kind of feels good to be back at work,” I said.

“I know what you mean,” he said.  “Too much of being home makes you crave going back to work.”

We were both looking at one another like we were crazy.

And maybe we are...

...kinda’ like feeling like you were born yesterday.

So, two more days of work and then two days of weekend.

Nice.

Routine.

Then we screw up the damn routine again with another holiday.

I wonder what the not-so-mentally-disturbed people are doing today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie