Thoughts of Christmas Past

The parties at Grandma & Grandpa Fuzzy’s House on Christmas Eve were epic.

Grandma made pizza (among so many other dishes).

I swear, I can still taste the pizza with anchovies.

And the party was sort of different because everyone came by in waves. The Schryvers, The Bantles, The Switalas, The Gallegos, The Georges...other Fuzzy family members.

Coming and going, eating and laughing.

Grandpa held court in the living room and we all stopped by his chair. Then we’d hop across the street and hang with Uncle Herb and Aunt Rosalie. Our cousins were like bonus siblings.

“Who’s going to Midnight Mass?”

As youngsters John an I often served mass. Just a few weeeks back we had a laugh remembering the time that John had way too much pizza at Grandma’s and threw up on the priest’s shoes. Father Weiss was furious!

Christmas Day celebrations were even more boisterous. I can still see Mom and Dad working together to get the mountains and mountains of food ready...

...and there were always too many presents for all of us.

I’ve been thinking about that as we get ready for another Christmas at Camp Clifford.

We go to Mom’s on Christmas Eve now.

Life has changed those parties for all of us, but Corinne makes sure that we all laugh a lot, and we eat plenty...

...Christmas Day is spent at home...usually... (we’re heading to my sister-in-laws  and brother-in-law’s this year.

Food, family, laughter and fun.

And it’s odd, but you know who’ll also be along for the ride?

Yeah.

Everyone who ever showed up at any of the parties in the past...

...I’ll see the memories reflected in the eyes of my brothers and sisters...

...and our children will be there, taking it all in, and filing it all away.

So, they can carry it on years and years from now.

Damn!

Wish I had that pizza recipe.

All these years later and none of us quite got the Grandma Fuzzy pizza down.

What I’d do for one more slice...

...one hour back in that crowded kitchen.

Christmas is less than a week away!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie