New York Minute

This was a weird work week.

Not only is the week between Christmas and New Year’s odd because people take it off, but the brutal cold shut down things even further.

I don’t know how to down rate the capacity. I like going 100 miles an hour.

Weird thing is that I had a New York City trip set up.

In and out in one day. Flight out at 6:30. Flight back at 5:30.

Woke up at 2:35...

...sick!

Nothing earth-shattering but the first day of a cold perhaps?

Perfect!

So, I’m going from a laid-back week, with a coming cold into the biggest city in the world.

New York is an odd place. I remember going there for the first time. My Dad had tried to explain how massive it is. When I called him from the city he said, “So?”

I said: “Why didn’t you tell me how big it is?”

And I’ve been there a hundred times and every single time I think:

“Man, this place is big.”

So many people. So much of a hassle. Driving is absolutely crazy. Watching people is fascinating.

For instance:

I was set to fly Home out of Gate C-15 at LaGuardia.

By the time I got to C-1, I saw about 20 NYPD officers.

“Uh-oh.”

Yet, they were smiling.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“Husband and wife got into a little battle,” the young-looking cop said. “Wife popped the husband and ran down the stairs. We can’t find her.”

Speaking of cops, they were everywhere.

On the GWB, on the Deegan, near Yankee Stadium, by CitiField.

“This will be the safest place in the world this week,” the shuttle bus driver told me.

His name was Diego. He wasn’t born here, but has been here for 7 years.

“I love New York,” he said. “You?”

“I do,” I said. “But I always forget that I have to pick up the pace when I get here.”

He laughed.

“Yeah, can’t lollygag around here. Gotta’ step it up.”

And I survived.

A long wait as our plane got back to Buffalo.

“Welcome to Buffalo,” the captain said. “It’s windy and it’s, um, 4 degrees.”

Good to be home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie