2017 - A Year In Review

I’ve kind of mentioned that 2017 was a year of chaos for me.

I hate chaos!

All good on the family front, which is the most important thing. We got up and went to work every day. We found a way to get along, despite the fact that neither of us felt very well, physically. Despite the fact that I spent a lot of time on a massage table, didn’t golf, and rested more than I ever have (after work - see tomorrow)...

...I felt worse.

Kathy also suffered as day after day on her feet, as a nurse, had her ending the year asking:

“Where’s my cane?”

Yet, there’s still a satisfying aspect to both of our chosen jobs. We work in a field where we are helping other people. I try to keep them safe, and Kathy tries to get them healthy. You have to enjoy what you do, and neither of us has lost that spark.

Can we get healthier?

I listen to the docs. I try to stretch. It’s a frustrating battle, but as I’m fond of saying:

“I don’t have cancer.”

America felt chaotic to me.

I wonder why.

So many battles every day. We have certainly slipped into separate corners where there’s no give and take. It bothers me greatly when bad behavior on one side is harshly criticized, but quickly dismissed when its “your” guy.

You don’t like wasteful government, or lax use of emails, or too much golfing, or lies, or swamp-dwellers?

Then stick to those convictions...

...don’t just blow it off.

For the first time, at the start of a year, I fear what might be coming for all of us. I try not to let things I can’t control take control, but it’s absolutely impossible to not be drawn in.

I’m going to try my best to stay about the chaos here. I don’t want to waste my energy arguing about it.

2018 will be more politically peaceful for me. I guarantee it. I’m concerned about a lot, but sounding off while discussing it on social media feels an awful lot like pissing in the wind.

I’m worried about war, shootings, nastiness, an unsteady administration, and civil unrest...

...but I’m not bringing it in, and letting it change my mood.

In 2017, listened to a lot of music, read a lot of books, wrote a ton...

...the go-to answers.

I want to do more in that regard.

I saw U2 for the first time.

I felt pain when learning Tom Petty died.

I put a book out, and it felt great...I’m at the point where anything I release needs to fit in to what I’ve been trying to say and The big D does.

More to come.

The writing has always made things more orderly.

Yet, I often cringe when I see people write things like:

“Good riddance to 2017!”

We lived it.

It may not have been ideal, but more than hating what happened, we are still here to look ahead to what MIGHT happen.

“Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive...if you can.”

I want the chaos out.

I’m skeptical about things calming down out there in the big bad world...

...but inside.

Inside it can be controlled!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie